Sauvaki Ni Vanua
TTFB, together with the Ministry of iTaukei Affairs (MTA) and the iTaukei Affairs Board (TAB) collaborated to develop a traditional leadership and governance training programme titled Sauvaki Ni Vanua. The training programme is centered on the principle of good governance and strong leadership which:
Reinforcing good leadership roles that promote peace and stability within the vanua, through the understudy of the traditional hierarchical system.
- To strengthen good governance at every level of the vanua and the communities through analysing the roles of these vanua
- To critique the roles of these structures terms of identity and social affiliations, to identify the gaps that exists in the implementations of the roles and responsibilities in the vanua
The training focuses on the Sausauvou, who are traditional heirs to chiefly titles in their villages or provinces. The training is earmarked for all the fourteen provinces of Fiji and later Rotuma. So far, Rewa, Tailevu, Ba, Nadroga, Navosa and most recently, Serua have completed the training.
The programme is hosted at the Centre for Appropriate Technology and Development, at Nadave, and spread over fourteen weeks, divided into three terms of two-week training intervals, with a month break in between these intervals. Participants are transported to Nadave at the start of the training from their villages and transported back at the conclusion of the two-week intervals. They are also accommodated with all meals included, at Nadave for the duration of the training.
There are six components to the training and these are:
- Raratabu Vakavanua – the vanua decision making forums, their governance structures, the traditional roles and responsibilities contributing to vanua cohesion;
- Na iTovo ni Veiliutaki Vakavanua – this covers the vanua ethos and values, and leadership approaches;
- Vakasavui ni Lewa Vakavanua– these are vanua communication strategies, the utilization of traditional ties and envoys to disseminate information within the vanua;
- Na Cakacakataki ni Lewa Vakavanua – the implementation of decisions through the solesolevaki. This also includes peacebuilding and conflict resolution tools;
- Vayagataki Vakavuku ni iYaubula which is the sustainable management of resources and environmental conservation and understanding biodiversity;
- Yadrayadravaki which touches on vanua monitoring and awareness.